One of the most common joint diseases is osteoarthritis. This disease mainly affects the elderly.
What is knee osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease of the joints, which is associated with the gradual destruction of the cartilage inside the joint. The patient experiences severe pain in the joints, mobility is limited. These people find it difficult to move around and find it difficult to perform standard household tasks. When cartilage wears down, the joint loses its ability to move.
The main symptom is pain during certain activities:
- When climbing stairs.
- When lifting loads.
- While squatting.
- If you stop suddenly after a long walk.
The pain may be worse at bedtime, and the knee swells at night. There may also be a buildup of fluid in the joint.
The consequence of complex treatment of arthrosis should be a permanent remission. Complex arthrosis therapy combines treatment with therapeutic exercises and physiotherapy.
The goal of arthrosis treatment is to eliminate the pain syndrome, and then the subsequent activation of the regeneration of cartilage tissue. During this period, drugs that contain chondroitin and glucosamine in their composition will be very useful. These drugs can be used in the form of tablets, ointments, sprays. The duration of treatment can take a long time, up to a year.
During exercise, movements are made that do not damage the cartilage tissue, but help to recover.
All of the above helps only in the first stage of arthrosis. In the second and third stages, surgical intervention is required.
Medical treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee joint at home includes:
- Analgesics. Pain-relieving drugs: tablets, ointments, sprays. Numbing pills can also be used.
- Medications that relax muscles. Medications that promote muscle relaxation reduce spasms.
- Chondroprotectors - "cartilage protectors". These drugs are the basis for the treatment of osteoarthritis.
All medicines must be prescribed by a doctor, you should not take them without a prescription, they all have contraindications.
The exercises should be chosen by an orthopedist, who will be based on the specifics of the disease. The most effective exercises for arthrosis:
- Lie on your back, stretch your legs and relax. Exercise relieves stress, strengthens the pelvic muscles. Increases blood flow to the knee joint.
- Lie on your back, raise your legs perpendicular to your body and press firmly against the floor. Move your legs in the air, imitating cycling.
- Lie on your stomach, alternately twist your knees. This exercise strengthens the leg muscles, activating the metabolic processes in the knee joints.
- A person sits on a chair and raises the legs parallel to the ground. Thus, the blood rises to the knees, improving tissue regeneration in the joints.
A positive result of the above exercises will be if you do them regularly. Preferably daily for 15 minutes, alternating with massage, physiotherapy.
In order to be able to play various sports, running, walking, it is better to wear an orthopedic knee brace, which reduces the load on the knee joint, treats arthrosis, warms it, has a magnetic pad that improves blood circulation. This is a necessary purchase for osteoarthritis of the knee joint.
For any osteoarthritis, you need to change your lifestyle and diet. In order for the treatment to be effective, sugar, alcoholic beverages, spicy and fatty foods, chemical additives must be excluded from the menu. It is not advisable to go hungry, so as not to impair the food supply to the joint cells.
Folk methods of treatment
The most common folk remedies for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee joint:
- Chalk and kefir application. It is necessary to make a homogeneous mass of these components, which is applied and fixed to the knee overnight.
- Oatmeal Application: Prepare oatmeal and apply it to your leg at night.
- A decoction of strawberries. In this case, strawberry leaves are used, preferably in dried form. First of all, you need to chop the leaves. Then pour them into boiling water and cook for 20 minutes. It is advisable to take this remedy throughout the day, instead of water.
- Jump. Take 2 tablespoons of hops and mix them with 50 g of vegetable oil. Use as a compress.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of mustard, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, boil everything (at least 5 minutes) and apply it to the affected joints for two hours.
- A good anesthetic is a tincture of agave leaves and alcohol in a 1: 10 ratio. Infuse this mixture for a month in the refrigerator. Use 20-30 drops, morning, noon and night.
- Burdock has proven itself very well among other plants in the treatment of osteoarthritis. Take 6 freshly plucked burdock leaves, velvety side down. Cover with a heavy container of boiled water. After 30 minutes, the leaves can be used. The affected area is smeared with vegetable oil and burdock leaves are applied to it and wrapped in foil.
- The use of dandelions. Freshly cut dandelion flowers should be rinsed under cold water and chewed, regardless of their unpleasant taste. At least 4 flowers should be eaten per day. Dried dandelion leaves can also be used as food.
- You can apply a compress with sea salt on the sore knee. If the salt runs out at the right time, you can replace it with ordinary sand, which is heated and wrapped in a towel before use. This tool helps fight puffiness.
Use of horseradish
Horseradish leaves and roots are rich in vitamins, natural phytoncides, minerals and essential oils. So, how to treat arthrosis with horseradish:
- Cut and boil the root. The resulting suspension is applied to gauze and fixed on the knee. Put the cloth on top and leave the compression for half an hour. You can do this every day.
- Horseradish and apple cider vinegar, mix in equal proportions, add a little flaxseed oil and apply to the sore joint. Cover with cellophane and keep for 30 minutes. Repeat the procedure every two days.
- Fry the horseradish and then mix it with the same amount of yogurt. Apply the resulting mass to the problem area and cover with cling film. Keep for 30-40 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water. To achieve the maximum result, you need to do at least 7 procedures.